Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Stories from the Field: From North to South, from West to East, Imagination is Released!

by Aaron Clemmer
Soccer and Writing Coach at Marshall Elementary


America SCORES poet athletes took to the stage of the Apollo Theatre and blew the audience away with performances of both their individual and group poems, and I was lucky enough to experience firsthand the greatness and potential of these students. I was unsure what to expect going into the four day trip, during which time I would be responsible for at least four (more often six) kids. I figured that it would be good practice for future fatherhood if nothing else, but I couldn’t have asked for a better group of kids to travel with. I found myself truly impressed and inspired getting to know the kids in a context outside of the classroom and soccer field. 


The trip, despite being a whirlwind of planes, airports, lots of practice and even less sleep, was a success. The students worked so hard on their poems, sitting through session after session of poem recitation and performance tweaking with very little complaints (other than, “I’m hungry,” and I may or may not have been the one complaining in this regard…). All of the hard work seemed worth it the moment the students set foot in the Apollo Theater. The beautiful and historic venue only added to the students’ excitement and served as fuel to put on a one-of-a-kind show. 






Though we traveled to New York for the purpose of the Poetry SLAM!, I took so much more away from the experience than just the poems. Of course the poetry and performances were powerful and moving, but what impacted me most was simply getting to know the kids. Experiencing New York City in and of itself is a mind-blowing experience for most, and one that I have had the chance to do before many times. Never, though, had I seen it through a child’s eyes. “Mr. Aaron, there are so many lights!”, “Mr. Aaron, there are so many M&Ms!” And so on. 


Watching the students work so hard on their poems, find energy in the monotony of poem repetition and editing, and make friends with kids all over the country was both impressive and moving. I feel very lucky to have had the opportunity to travel with such a fun group of students and be a part of something truly amazing. Maybe next year we can have a similar national slam here in San Francisco so that we all can witness the potential of our future generation. I know I’d be there, front and center.

No comments:

Post a Comment