Friday, September 17, 2010

How I Spent My Summer

By Soccer Director Yuri Morales

During the World Cup summer of 2010 I had the opportunity to play and watch soccer in the soccer-crazy land of Europe. It is always refreshing to be in place where soccer is so popular and important. The World Cup brings people together in a special way.  For a moment in time we can forget our differences, quarrels, politics, our social and financial problem while entire communities, cities, and countries focus on just one thing... cheering on the team(s) they love.


I spent most of my summer lying on the beach!
The first stop on my journey was to Israel.

While in Tel Aviv I was able to engage in a cultural and informational exchange with a representative from the non-profit organization "Lasova". Lasova operates more than 12 youth centers all across Israel, providing supervision and enrichment activities for under-privileged youth. It was great to learn about the organization and the important work they do. We also discussed the unique America SCORES model that allows us to use soccer to teach life-skills and poetry and creative expression to improve literacy.

After leaving Israel, I spent most of the summer playing in a professional beach soccer league in Switzerland.




I also got a chance to represent the US Beach Soccer National Team in an international beach soccer tournament in Portugal.  I was honored to be named the 2010 Swiss Beach Soccer League MVP after finishing the season as the league's top scorer (35 goals in 12 matches). With the US Beach Soccer Team in Portugal we played against the best team in the world, Brazil, and 2 other international soccer powers, Portugal and Argentina.  Even though we lost the games, it was amazing to play in a stadium packed with screaming fans, in games that were broadcast on TV in Europe, South America and many other places.

I feel very lucky to have had these experiences, and continue to be involved with "the beautiful game"... soccer.

-Yuri Morales
Soccer Director for America Scores Bay Area, San Francisco

No comments:

Post a Comment